SideQuest is dedicated to providing harassment-free events for everyone, regardless of gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, age or religion. We do not tolerate harassment of event participants in any form. Sexual language and imagery is not appropriate for any event venue. Event participants violating these rules may be expelled from the event, without a refund, at the discretion of the conference organizers.
Harassment includes, but is not limited to:
- Verbal comments related to gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, age, or religion.
- Sexual images in public spaces
- Deliberate intimidation, stalking, or following
- Inappropriate photography or recording
- Sustained disruption of talks or other events
- Inappropriate physical contact
- Unwelcome sexual attention
- Advocating for, or encouraging, any of the above behavior
Participants asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately.
If a participant engages in harassing behavior, event organizers retain the right to take any actions to keep the event a welcoming environment for all participants. This may include warning the offender up to expulsion from the event with no refund.
Event organizers may take action to redress anything designed to, or with the clear impact of, disrupting the event or making the environment hostile for any participants.
We expect participants to follow these rules at all event venues and event-related social activities.
If someone makes you or anyone else feel unsafe or unwelcome, please report it as soon as possible. SideQuest Staff and Volunteers are visibly marked during our events. Harassment and other code of conduct violations reduce the value of our event for everyone. We want you to be happy at our event. People like you make our event a better place.
You can make a report either personally or anonymously.
Making an Anonymous Report
- You can make an anonymous report here: Anonymous report under development on the new site
- We can’t follow up an anonymous report with you directly, but we will fully investigate it and take whatever action is necessary to prevent a recurrence.
Making a Personal Report
- You can make a personal report by contacting a SideQuest Staff Member or Volunteer
- When taking a personal report, our staff will ensure you are safe and cannot be overheard. They may involve other event staff to ensure your report is managed properly. Once you are in a safe space, we’ll ask you to tell us about what happened. This can be upsetting, but we’ll handle it as respectfully as possible. You can bring someone to support you. You won’t be asked to confront anyone and we won’t tell anyone who you are.
Our team will be happy to help you contact hotel/venue security, local law enforcement, local support services, provide escorts, or otherwise assist you to feel safe for the duration of the event. We value your attendance.
General RT SideQuest Contact: sidequest.org/contact
SideQuest Staff will have the contact information for venue security readily on hand during any event.
Austin Police Department: 911
Austin Police Department (Non-Emergency): 512-974-2000
APD 24 Hour Crisis Hotline: (512) 472-HELP
SafePlace (Austin Rape Crisis Hotline): (512) 267-SAFE
Medical Emergency: 911
Austin Cab Company: (512) 478-2222
Yellow Cab Company: (512) 452-9999
SideQuest may or may not enact this policy at it’s sole discretion. This policy was updated on February 4th, 2017 by Daniel Allman and was approved by the SideQuest Board of Directors.